Friday, January 23, 2009

My first time/Module 1

Hi everyone.  This is my first time blogging.  My friends tell me how much fun it is and it's a great way to keep in touch and view pictures.

My name is Tosha Walker.  I have 4 great kids that keep me hopping.  I work in the ICU at Timpanogos Hospital and have been there for almost 6 years.  I am in the Acute Care DNP program and I am in my second semester.  I can't believe I survived the first one!  I am learning so much and really love school.  I think it is important to learn more about the field of information management because technology is advancing rapidly and we must stay informed because we will use it or create it in our practice areas and use it to help our patients.  

Where I work, we have electronic charting, which is nice, however it's not very user friendly.  The program is the old MS Dos type of programming (ick!).  We are undergoing changes to our charting system to update and we are all excited.  Structured/Coded clinical data would be useful in promoting quality patient care by maintaining consistency and enhancing communication between all nurses and the interdisciplinary team through their charting and reports.  It can also improve care by providing more time for the nurses to provide care, rather than spending so much time documenting.  

2 comments:

  1. Hey you busy adorable woman! I can't wait until you get TIME for another post....

    waiting .....

    still waiting .....

    Drop me an e-mail and tell me how you're doing.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Module 2/Question 1: Describe your clinical problem and choice of electronic index. How did the index facilitate ( or impede) your ability to construct an efficient search? How time consuming was your search? Would there be barriers to using the index in daily practice?

    I used CINAHL to search for patients pain perceptions. CINAHL is very user friendly and has a variety of options to help with your search options. The biggest problem I had was my choice of words in the search title. When I searched for patients pain perceptions, I only had one article come up. When I searched for pain alone, I had thousands come up. This makes it so I have to read the abstracts of all of them to get the articles that pertain to my subject.

    The only time consuming part is to go through the articles. I really liked how you can check to show only articles that are linked to full text. This is user-friendly and time-saving. I don't think I would use CINAHL in daily practice due to time constraints, but would use it to look up topics that I needed more information about or if I write a paper and need references. Of course I would have to do this after hours. I like the up to date website, which is what I use in my practice and it has truly up to date information.

    ReplyDelete